Learn Five of the Most Common Reasons a Garage Door May Not Open
Everyone who has a garage door wants to be able to open it – that’s what it is there for. However, if it will not open, that does not mean that you need to replace it altogether. In some cases, garage door repair can get your door back in working order quickly. Keep reading to find out some of the most common reasons a garage door won’t open and then contact Dynamic Garage Door at 855-343-3667 if you need additional help.
- Dead Batteries This is the simplest but most common reason that a garage door will not open: The transmitter batteries need to be replaced. You can check the transmitter on the side of your garage wall to see if pushing its button opens the garage door. If it does, then it may be that the transmitter in your vehicle needs to be replaced. If the transmitter in your car works but the one in your garage does not work, then the garage transmitter is likely the one that needs batteries.
- There’s Something in the Path of the Door Garage doors have reversing mechanisms that are designed to not crush objects in their path. This is for your safety and the safety of anyone around. If there is something in the path – even something as small as a leaf – the door may not open. This is likely the issue if you have a garage door that begins opening but then closes once it is halfway open.
- You’re Dealing with Broken Springs If you are around when a spring breaks, you’ll hear it – it is a loud bang. Remember that your garage door is actually very heavy and they require serious springs to open and close them. If a spring is broken, you need to call on the professionals for repairs or to replace your garage door. Do not try to open the door until the springs have been inspected and replaced.
- You Have the Disconnect Switch Enabled On most garage doors, this switch is attached to a rope that can be pulled, or a knob that can be turned. In some cases, the switch can become unhooked, which disconnects the door from the motor. If this happens, then the door will not open. I common sign that this is the issue is a garage door opener motor running for a few seconds and shutting off, without the door moving.
- The Garage Door Needs to Be Replaced Of course, sometimes it is truly bad news: The garage door needs to be replaced. There is also good news though: You have a qualified professional ready to help you. Contact Dynamic Garage Door at 855-343-3667 and we can get started right away.